Everything about my life has changed since I decided to build and move into a new construction home built by Lennar at 6111 Yeats Manor Drive in the Westshore Yacht Club. Change can be good, but nothing about the changes to my health have been positive. Lennar was aware of the issues but did absolutely nothing.
What’s causing it? There are a number of things happening in this home including extensive mold exposure, water intrusion and leaks, faulty A/C systems (that further exasperate the mold issues), constantly being exposed to mosquitoes throughout the house, as well as environmental concerns of land remediation – and let’s not forget that I live feet from a jet fuel pipeline.
It’s rather obvious that so much of the structural damage (and likely the mosquito issue) is caused by water intrusion by both roof leaks and floods caused by faulty A/C systems. It comes down to the water and moisture. All of the issues are connected it seems and make each other issue worse. It’s a vicious cycle and it’s been a complete nightmare that has changed everything about my life.
The stress alone from dealing with extensive construction issues along with dealing with the Lennar integrity and approach that will fight almost anything – rather than do what’s right – could be causing it. If you read just a little about the 4.5 years here, you’ll know that nobody should have to deal with this – especially when you buy a new construction home.
As a reminder, one of the last times I heard from Mark Metheny – Division President of Lennar, he wanted to conduct additional inspections, including bringing in an environmental company for an initial visual inspection because of many of the items I’ve already listed. Those inspections never occured because I suddenly and unexplainably stopped hearing from the three Lennar executives shortly after his request.
Don’t buy from them. We had a Lennar home built in Texas and they left our drains open slightly, leading to about 8 years of toxic mold exposure. They did fix the bathroom but ignored our complaint about our persistent toxic mold illness that nearly killed us.
— Denise (@Crossroads_30) November 30, 2017
I can’t ignore all of the mold problems in this home. I have both the main house and a detached guest house (used for my office and above the detached garage). Both areas have documented water intrusion, caused both by improperly installed roof flashing, and A/C systems that flood, leak and cause mold. The last Lennar inspection even indicated all the attic insulation has been soaked by the A/C system. That all results in a lot of molds that I can see – and even more I can’t see.
According to Livestrong, the dangers of mold exposure range from lingering ailments to permanent damage and death. My symptoms over the years include a rash of ailments which range from chronic sinus infections to full body inflammation. Healthy Directions provides a rather comprehensive list of the most common symptomsofo mold exposure.
When I moved into my new Lennar home in May 2013, I was extremely healthy and happy. I’ll focus on the major health symptoms here, as well as give you perspective with some pictures.
Many of these symptoms get worse after work has been done in the attic or I’m exposed to the constantly falling insulation. I documented a case where I became very sick after one of Lennar’s inspections.
— Kris Fannin (@krisfannin) January 17, 2018
Whereas it started in my feet occasionally starting about a year after I moved in, swelling and inflammation has gotten worse and impacts most of my body. I had a hard time finding pictures of my feet, but here are a few to give you an idea of how bad it has become.
Here are a couple of pictures from around the time I moved into my Lennar home.
In the summer of 2014, a little over a year after moving into my Lennar home, I would occasionally get swollen feet. I had never had this happen before and it only seemed to happen while I was in the house. I’m not the only person this has happened to either. People who have spent a significant time in the house get sick with similar symptoms. However, each time it would go away. The swelling started becoming more frequent at this point.
Here are my feet and legs today:
I can no longer wear most of my shoes at this point. Whereas it used to go away and be confined more to my feet, I have inflammation and swelling throughout most of my body.
Numbness and loss of sensation
In the last few months, I have also experienced loss of sensation, numbness, and tingling in parts of my left foot and the middle toes of that foot. That makes it even more difficult to wear shoes, as I can’t feel the ground nearly as well.
Unusual skin sensations, tingling, and numbness are all signs and symptoms of mold exposure.
Oh please @Lennar. ur well aware. Justin Essigmann has all info and will do nothing like the thousands of others .. I'll post mold pics too. Anyone with small children, elderly or pregnant should probably steer clear of the Lennar home. Mold can cause a lot of health issues
— Samantha Herington (@Sammy2982) April 16, 2018
Red eyes and blurred vision
Also starting in the summer of 2014, I started getting red and irritated eyes. Although I had never had issues with allergies until I moved into this house, I just started taking allergy medicine and using eye drops.
Nothing seems to work. I have long since stopped using traditional eye drops and use artificial tears instead. Regardless of how much rest I get, I still wake up with red and bloodshot eyes that never seem to fully resolve.
I cannot remember the last time I had a fever until I moved into my Lennar home. I have them all the time now. They are usually low-grade and the fever is usually not accompanied by anything else (except the ongoing symptoms I have).
There are times that the fever also comes with a rash.
I will get random skin rashes. Sometimes they itch, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes they come with a fever, sometimes they don’t. However, I started documenting when I get them, and it almost always happens after there is work in the upstairs attic (I’ve had countless A/C malfunctions here, so it seems someone is always up there fixing it).
Constant congestion and chronic sinus infections
I started becoming more congested and developed multiple sinus infections starting in the spring of 2014, less than a year living in my Lennar home. One really bad one delayed a vacation to Israel by a few days in June 2014 (that was also that last time I’ve been on a vacation).
I’ve never had a nosebleed in my life until I moved into my Westshore Yacht Club home. I’ve since had several of them, and they started in the early part of 2016.
Additionally, I will occasionally have a hair that falls out and the root is bloody. It’s random and has happened a few times.
Fatigue and weakness
This is different than being tired. It’s hard to explain, but when it happens, it’s difficult to think of even picking up a pencil. I would experience this feeling on the rare occasion I was sick in bed before I moved here, but it’s pretty consistent at this point.
The only way I can describe it is a mental fog or like a brick in my head. There are times when I can barely come up with a common word or remember a name. This usually happens during the more extreme cases of fatigue and weakness.
Headaches come from nowhere and have become more frequent.
My health has certainly taken a hit from this house and environment. That’s why I am doing everything I can to just get out of here. Everything in my life has changed so much since moving into a new construction home. This is not the way it should be, it shouldn’t be allowed to happen, and I just don’t understand how the builder knows about the issues and can still sleep at night not doing much of anything over the years.
Is your Lennar home making you sick or do you know someone in a similar situation? Do you know of someone who can help with all of these issues or the ongoing construction problems? Please contact me. I can use all the help I can get at this point.
Note: As of the date of this publication, all the Lennar executives went silent and none of the construction repairs were ever made, including the promised replacements of two, improperly installed and defective A/C units causing extensive mold exposure and health issues.